Saturday, September 12, 2009

Rainbows & Promises

A few weeks ago, we were enjoying a dreary day at home. Brennan and my nephew had been playing inside and heard the rain start again. They ran onto the back porch to stand in the rain (the joys of being a kid...they didn't worry about their hair frizzing). As soon as they got outside they both began to scream for me to come. Now in our house, if you are in the backyard screaming it either means our dog ate something or an animal is in our yard. I stepped on the back porch only to turn and see the most AMAZING rainbow I have ever seen. The colors were so vivid. It was so incredibly tall. It seemed to stretch to heaven with a perfect curve. I grabbed my camera and snapped this picture.


We then ran to the front porch to see if we could get a better picture. As we open the door, the rain begins to pour, but not before we see....a complete rainbow. End to end, a perfect arch and we all three saw it. I have never seen a full, complete rainbow. I couldn't get a picture at the point because we were getting soaked. It never occurred to me to take one from inside?! (go figure). It took a few days to sink in what we had witnessed. The rainbow is the symbol of God's promise. A promise to guide us in the "storms" of our life and see us to the end. It is difficult to describe, but the past year has been the most difficult emotionally and the most rewarding emotionally. Having experienced both having a child biologically and through adoption, I can say adoption is ten thousand times more stressful. The entire experience is out of your hands.

God had promised us a child! We knew we were meant to adopt and that there was a child for us. Throughout everything God continually reassured us. Even when we doubted, He was constant, just like the rainbow. The rainbow we saw that day was God's sign that He kept His promise to us. What a beautiful reminder of the miracle we have in our home. I pray that I can take in all His blessings without having to see a "rainbow" to be reminded of them.

No comments: